Monday, August 3, 2009

August 3, 2009

Hello all!
This week was pretty good. We had Gordan's baptism and that was really good. We had me and my companion in the water with him. It was such a spiritual baptism and the spirit was so strong there. I could feel the angels helping out. He is such a great guy and I know the Lord is going to use him well in whatever He needs. Just the look in his eyes and the changing of his appearance is a wonderful thing! It made me so happy. The people we live with are an older couple who live below us. Their kids are grown and live somewhere else. They also make the best brownies in the entire world. (haha) They are so good. There is always a high demand for them at church events and at the potluck once a month. Yummy. They also have 3 dogs. Everyday when we leave, the dogs come up to us and see us out and everyday when we come back home they bark and greet us at the gate. Its really neat. It makes me feel special because they are always there to say hi and welcome us.
Well, the meeting with the Spanish people didn't get because we had the wrong address. Its actually this guy named Leonardo and he is a memeber and just moved from Florida and the family he is staying with is interested. Next Friday we are going to stop by them. Lets see if I have any funny stories.. hmmm. Well we were at a zone confrence thing and we were eating lunch and talking about the winters and one elder said that they wore santa hats so that people didn't confuse them with Jehova Witnesses, that's a big problem sometimes. But then he also said how he thought he could handle the cold and that scarfs weren't cool and were gay. He said after the first week he was running to the store to get a scarf and loves it and uses it all the time. He said he knows what they are for now and loves his! haha. It made us all laugh. I've been hearing that the winters here will be really cold and that when we go out to tract we use golf balls to knock, smart idea.
We also had a mom and her daughter move in 2 houses down. They are Catholic (we think) and we are going to try and use the nice friendly neighbors approach and convert them. Hopefully it will work. We also got invited to go to Grace Lutheran church and talk about Mormonism and things like that. Which is really cool I think, except I don't get to go. I get to trade companions this day so that another elder can come help out and make sure that we don't just get beaten down. Maybe next time I can go. It should be a great way to get our name out and get some publicity.
I had my first interview with the mission president the other day, which was cool and he asked about my family and I told him all the travels dad was going on and he laughed and was like, "but he isn't going through Fremont is he?" and I was like well.. and then he just started laughing. He is a great guy with a great sense of humor. He also told me to become independant as soon as I can and not rely on my companion. Which I thought was interesting and I wonder what sort of thing he is going to have me do. Sometimes I think maybe I am being trained for something later on in the mission. Also, I am the uncalled music leader in our branch. So far, for the 2 baptisms and every priesthood thing I lead the music. I also have another scripture study class on Wednesday about the Restoration of the gospel. On Sunday our gospel principles teacher wasn't here so me and my companion taught the class with like 30 seconds to prepare. That was interesting but I think we did good, after all it, isn't us teaching.
A quick side note about D&C 121 about Joseph Smith. We can also learn near the end about how many are called but few are chosen. It tells us that many are called but only the few who use their calling and magnify it are chosen. Because when most of those who are called, they use the power in the wrong way but when we use His power the right way, it blessing the lives of others. Then we are chosen. Kinda hard to explain over email but I hope that made sense.
That is true about the Atonement being the key to the plan of salvation. Its the center of the lessons. Everything adds to it and then keeps supporting it. The Atonement is an esential part of God's plan for us. Another thing different about our religion than others is we are the only church, I believe, that believes in the eternal duration of families. With the Atonement it creates a way for us to return to live with our Father in Heaven and so we can stay together in our family units. The only reason the earth was created was so that families can be. In the prophecy of Malachi when he says he turns the hearts of the father to the children. It is the only scripture that is in every set of scriptures, the Old Testament, the New Testament, the Book of Mormon and the Pearl of Great Price and Joseph Smith History. But it is about family history and being all connected and without that family history and the connection of our families he says the Lord will come and smite the earth with a curse. So families and family history is pretty important.
School starting should be a fun thing. It gives everyone something to do. Its going to be weird for me not to go back to school, but I'm on my mission so I'll be doing even better things and I'll be doing a part of the great and marvelous work.
Anything else I am forgetting? We have 2 more baptisms. And, we were teaching this lady about the word of wisdom and she was sure that she could keep it but she had to have her coffee and wouldn't give it up and was addicted to it and she didn't care if it was bad. In my mind I was thinking, "why don't we just put a curse on her so that she can't drink the coffee and then she can keep the word of wisdom". I'm always careful of what I say though because everything a missionary promises, the Lord honors it. So I don't want to put words in His mouth and do something He doesn't want to do. So I was just thinking it. Haha. Well the next day we saw her and she was like, "what did you guys do to me. I can't drink coffee; it tastes bitter to me and makes me sick when I drink it I just can't do it anymore." I thought that was really cool. She says that she is going to try again and drink it but I'm sure that the Lord is helping out and helping us out in His work.
Tell everyone I said hi and I'll try to write back when I can but sometimes I'm just really busy. Well love and miss you guys very much. Take care and remember who you are and what you stand for. Every member is a missionary, and its easy to spread the gospel. Just not as easy to teach it. haha :) But I'm trying hard. Always keep a prayer in your heart! Love you super lots! ~Elder Price

No comments:

Post a Comment